Many people are worried about the current state of Rails with some choosing to leave the Ruby community altogether. Are these concerns something you should also worry about? A response to Piotr Solnica’s My Time with Rails is Up which has attracted a lot of attention this week.
sprintf provides a powerful alternative to typical string interpolation. See a wide variety of examples here.
David Heinemeier Hansson
A short essay by DHH: “Ruby includes a lot of sharp knives in its drawer of features. Not by accident, but by design.”
RedisGreen builds a map of your Redis memory usage, tracking the size of keys over time, helping you track down problems and gain new insights.
A look at how the experience compares with using React and Angular 2 on the front end of Rails apps.
If you want to help out, Nick Quaranto presents a few ideas for pushing the official gems repository, RubyGems.org, into “a better place for the rest of 2016.”
A look at tracking down and fixing some issues in
libxml-ruby that were causing segfaults due to an interesting edge case.
“It’s not well known but with Rubygems and Bundler, you can distribute access-controlled commercial Rubygems.”
- Senior Full-Stack Rails Engineer at Wunder (Boulder, CO / SF, CA) You: Full-stack developer with a penchant for great code and saving the world (literally). Us: Experienced software team tackling the renewable energy sector, hot off our Series A and Down-To-Hire. Wunder
- The top VC-backed startups use Underdog.io to hire engineers. Join in 60 seconds. If you’re accepted, startups will email you as soon as next Monday. You decide where to interview and where to work. Now open in SF, NYC, and remote. Join Underdog.io today. Underdog . io
- Rails 5 Renames ‘use_transactional_fixtures’ to ‘use_transactional_tests’ news Mohit Natoo
- Help Avdi Grimm to Not Go Broke news
Avdi runs RubyTapas and wrote Confident Ruby . Avdi Grimm
- Rails Support for Ruby 2.4’s Newly Unified Integer Class news
Last week we mentioned Ruby 2.4’s unification of Fixnum and Bignum – support is already being added to Rails. Ruby on Rails
- Get Live 1:1 Ruby Expert Help / Become a Ruby Codementor
Are you a Ruby expert? Become a Codementor and get paid by helping your fellow developers. Learn Ruby faster with on-demand live expert help via screen sharing, video and chat. Codementor Sponsored
- Generate Barcodes with JRuby and Barcodes4J tutorial Devdatta Kane
- Know Ruby: Enumerable#with_index (no, not each_with_index) tutorial Aaron Lasseigne
- Try Converting: A Look at Type Conversions in Ruby tutorial Idiosyncratic Ruby
- Embedding a Test Suite in a Single-File Ruby App tutorial
Make sure your one-off scripts work before executing them for real. Alan W Smith
- 4 Ways to Filter ‘has_many’ Associations tutorial Duck Type Labs
- The Straight Dope on Deprecations tutorial
Learn when and how to use deprecations effectively. Richard Schneeman
- Docker: Running a Rails App Container with Elasticsearch Service video
A well recorded 13 minute video. Zack Siri
- Vimrunner: Control a vim Instance from Ruby Code code Andrew Radev
- dry-transaction: A Business Transaction DSL for Ruby code
To define complex business transactions that include processing by multiple objects.
- jCSV: A Multidimensional CSV Library for JRuby code tutorial Rodrigo Botafogo
- Object::Cache: Easy Caching of Ruby Objects, using Redis as a Backend Store code Blendle
- Sidekiq for Crystal, a Compiled Ruby-Like Language code
Crystal is a compiled language with Ruby-like syntax – now with support for the popular background job framework. Mike Perham
- Shrine 2.0: A Full-Featured File Upload Library for Ruby Webapps code Janko Marohnić
- Paying for Servers You Don’t Need?
Our custom-made Operations as a Service platform for Rails apps allows scheduled and automatic scaling of your production and staging environments so you don’t pay for servers you don’t need. Get OpsCare® and save. Reinteractive Sponsored