Ergonomadic (anagram of "go IRC daemon") is an IRC daemon written from scratch in Go. Pull requests and issues are welcome.
- host/port: irc.skub.club:6697, use SSL
- password: smellyoulater
- follows the RFCs where possible
- UTF-8 nick and channel names
- gcfg gitconfig-style configuration
- server password (PASS command)
- channels with most standard modes
- IRC operators (OPER command)
- haproxy PROXY protocol header for hostname setting
- passwords stored in bcrypt format
- channels thatpersist between restarts (+P)
- messages are queued in the same order to all connected clients
What about SSL/TLS support?
Go has a not-yet-verified-as-safe TLS 1.2 implementation. Sadly, many popular IRC clients will negotiate nothing newer than SSLv2. If you want to use SSL to protect traffic, I recommend using stunnel version 4.56 with haproxy’s PROXY protocol . This will allow the server to get the client’s original addresses for hostname lookups.
What about federation?
IRC federation solves a problem that was more likely to occur on the internet of 1991 than today. We are exploring alternatives to federation that avoid nickname and channel sync issues created during netsplits.
go get go install ergonomadic initdb -conf ergonomadic.conf
See the example
ergonomadic.conf . Passwords are base64-encoded bcrypted byte strings. You can generate them with the
ergonomadic genpasswd 'hunter2!'
Running the server
ergonomadic run -conf ergonomadic.conf